Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Warriors Training Camp Linkfest

The Warriors 2008-2009 Training Camp roster officially got under way 4 days ago finally ending the speculation as to who will make the roster. With no real news to discuss I thought I'd compile a list of links that have covered everything from Monta's return to who's on the roster to life after Baron. Chech out their Traning camp blog if you want the latest inside information like Turiafs new nickname "Maccroni".

Training Camp Roster

Don Nelson and Corey Maggette Interviews



Harrington turns to Aguirre, Moncrief's larger role and Anthony Randolph, a natural power forward

Monta Ellis arrives at Warriors Training Camp

Monta Unplugged Kinda

How do you think you’ll recover?
I’m recovering great. Everything’s going good right now and we just have to wait it out.


Baron's departure

Adding Up Pieces in 2008 A.D. - After Davis

"What was I thinking? 'What are we doing?' " Jackson said. "But at the same time, I knew that we had to get better, and we're definitely better.

"I think we made the best we could do with losing B.D. We're a deeper team, a bigger team. Our size was a big problem last year, so we made some good adjustments. I'm happy about it. I think we're fine."


Watson or Williams?
Incumbent C.J. Watson is entering his first full season in the NBA. Newcomer Marcus Williams has little experience in the Warriors' fast-paced offense. Rookie DeMarcus Nelson would be happy simply to make the roster.

The coach is giving the early advantage to Watson, but it's clear that Golden State considers the race wide open. The team is simply hoping for someone to emerge, and if that doesn't happen, there are always the trade and free-agent routes.


Miscellaneous Articles

Biedrins role increasing

Warriors Owner must be cautious

For the record, both vice president Chris Mullin and head coach Don Nelson are working on the final year of their contracts. Neither has begun talks with owner Chris Cohan or his right-hand man Bobby Rowell on a new one, and neither seems terribly bothered about that, at least not outwardly.

But the problem of Ellis' punishment for mopedding his six-year, $66 million contract into jeopardy impacts Mullin and Nelson, because it seems clear that Cohan and Rowell want to make Ellis a bigger issue than Mullin and Nelson do, and if they aren't incredibly deft at getting their point across without alienating Ellis, they will have lost the face of their franchise over a principle that can be solved in any number of other and more creative ways.



Latest Training Camp reports

Baron Davis talks about Warriors

Then there was Monday's San Jose Mercury News report saying that Davis and Warriors executive Chris Mullin had reached an agreement for a three-year, $39-million contract extension in June. Apparently the deal unraveled when Warriors President Robert Rowell refused to approve it, and the rest is history.

"Chris Mullin was always, like I say, as general manager, he was always in my corner," Davis said. "From the time I got there to our playoff run, he told me that he wanted me there as the future of the franchise and he wanted to keep me.

"I don't think that was his decision."


Monta promises strong recovery from injury

Marcus Williams relishing his shot at starting PG
It's something different from the past two years I went through," Williams said. "That whole situation was a gift and a curse. When you're playing behind J-Kidd, you learn all you can, but you don't get to play. So I think now, this may be an opportunity to showcase my talents, showcase what I can do and what I learned. I'm looking at it like it's my one chance."


Maggette takes a swipe at Mike Dunleavy SR


The Warriors' biggest free-agent addition poked fun at both his reputation as a less-than-active defender and the criticism he took from ex-coach Mike Dunleavy on Tuesday as he swatted aside concerns over his one-dimensional game.

"I'm a good defender, I don't know what Dunleavy was talking about," Maggette said, joking about his own reputation. "I'm just playing. ... Sometimes you slack on defense and you get that (reputation). But my job is to come out here and play extremely hard on both ends of the court."



Morrow gets attention

The first name out of Warriors coach Don Nelson's mouth — after the first session of the first day of training camp Saturday — may be surprising.

It wasn't newly acquired swingman Corey Maggette or new point guard Marcus Williams. It wasn't one of his old faithfuls, swingman Stephen Jackson or center Andris Biedrins.

The first player Nelson offered praise to was guard Anthony Morrow. Heard of him? He's the rookie out of Georgia Tech whom the Warriors signed after he lit up the summer leagues in Las Vegas and Utah.

No comments: